Sunday, April 10, 2011

If only my leg could sing as well.

And if you'd took to me like
A gull takes to the wind.
Well, I'd jumped from my tree
And I'd danced like the king of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would fared well. - The Shins

Yesterday, I found out another random fact about me. I love break up songs :D HAHA. Not Taylor Swift type of break up songs. But really deep break up songs. I remembered I was obsessed with 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'. Well I have found the song's equally depressive brother. The Shins' 'New Slang' :D TADAAA



No I'm not going through a break up, or about to kill myself. I am though, a bit down in the dumps but not pass the normal point. I just really like those types of songs. Simple melodies, and fitting lyrics. That's like the epic formula for a bad ass break up song.

Usually I wouldn't like slow songs, especially the slow pop songs. It's really hard to make a slow song without making it boring and monotonous. But the thing is with 'AROBTTH' and 'New Slang' is that both are very monotonous especially 'New Slang' but they never cease to amaze me. The simplicity of the songs are enough to entertain my thoughts when it is idle. So yeah it's kind of funny that most song which have wide range of melodies can bore me but songs with monotonous sound can be replayed over and over again.

I guess, what makes it work for those type of songs is their emotions and lyrics behind it. The voice is subtle and almost as if he gave up on life. And the words just fit you know? It's just so sophisticated and poetic. Compare this with Justin Bieber's 'Baby'. Bieber never knew the pain, man. But The Shins explained it very well.




This is the song with 'Garden State' movie as the backdrop. I watched the movie only for a bit, I shall watch it properly next time. Maybe I'll write a post about it.

No comments: